Stinky Ballroom Dance Shoes
Thursday, 18 May 2017
Preventing the stink:
1.Wash your feet before wearing them. Make sure to get between your toes.
2.Keep your feet dry.
a.Use hand sanitizer on your feet after washing to ensure your feet dry properly.
b.You can put antiperspirant on the bottoms of your feet to reduce sweating. (May cause discoloring or leave residue on insoles of shoes.)
c.Having an extra pair of shoes and rotating the pair your wear each day can allo
w shoes to have time to completely dry, which reduces the chances of bacterial growth (which causes the stink!)
3.Store your shoes properly after use.
a.Help shoes dry as fast as possible. Use a heater or hair dryer to speed the drying process. NEVER seal wet/sweaty shoes in a shoe bag or other container.
b.Put odor reducing products in with the shoes while storing them.
You can create sachets but cutting the foot portion off a pair of pantyhose and filling it
with kitty litter, coffee grounds/beans, or baking soda. Then tie the o
pen end and store the sachet in your shoe bag and even in your shoe. Tea bags also work!
Managing stink once it starts:
4. Use inserts that have odor reducing qualities for daily wear. These can also
take up space in a loose shoe and add extra padding.
Example: Odor Eaters brand or activated charcoal inserts
5. Try this Stinky Shoe Spray recipe we found:
-Use a 2 oz spray bottle.
Fill 2/3 with vodka (any brand is fine, no flavors.)
Fill the rest with tea tree oil.
Shake before each use and lightly mist in shoes for odor reduction.
6. You can also try 10 Seconds brand Shoe Disinfectant and Deodorizer avai
lable from Showtime
7. You can OCCASIONALLY wipe down the insides with rubbing alcohol
to kill bacteria and reduce
odor. Do not do this often, as it can dry the shoes out (in a bad way) and shorten the life of the shoe.
If all else fails:
8. Seal shoes in a plastic bag, write an apology letter for the trash collector,
and order a new pair from us at showtimedanceshoes.com
*These suggestions have been collected from consumer stories and are not guaranteed by Showtime Dance Shoes.
- Published in Ballroom Dance Blog, Ballroom Dance Shoes, ballroom dance teacher, Ballroom Dancers, dance shoe odor, Uncategorized