Ballroom Shoes with Custom Fitting: Expand your dance abilities, prolong your endurance, eliminate foot pain
Ballroom dancers all agree on the same exact pains in dancing. Blisters on your feet, swollen ankles, toes that look like they have been run over… oh the many joys of dancing. It is estimated that 90% of dancers will suffer from an injury and 50% of those will be related to foot and ankle. Aside from band-aids, wraps, and hydrocortisone creams, which only help with rashes and itching we are pretty much hopeless in the fight against foot pain on the dance floor. Or are we?
Here are some tips for muscle soreness and inflammation:
- Applying the acronym athletes know well — RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation)
- Remember to stretch the muscles in your feet (5 finger toe spread and the toe release)
- Rub the muscle that feels tight with goldbond pain relieving foot cream
Though some of this may only be a temporary relief, it is certainly better than ignoring the pain or giving up on dance.
We can not promise zero pain, but at Showtime Dance Shoes we provide custom fitting. We often times see dancers wearing shoes that cause more problems rather than eliminating issues. We see dancers with high arches in shoes with no curve, we see wide feet in narrow shoes, toes pushing out of the shoe bottoms, and weak ankles with no ankle straps. Then comes injury, about 60% of dancers who quit, walk away due to injury. Which is why we stress to our professional dancers, teachers, and studios to inform their students of the importance of a great fitting shoe. A great practice shoe will keep a dancer focused in practice, and not complaining about their feet.International, Freed and Supadance Dance Shoes
Men’s Practice Shoes: Supadance
1) No over eating. I know the Holidays are right around the corner but that doesn’t mean stuff yourself with pie and fried turkey until you go into a diabetic coma. If you want to feel good and energetic through the cold dreary winter ahead you have to give yourself limits. (i.e. Give yourself a chance to eat one single piece of pie over thanksgiving weekend) These limits do not have to be specific but you are your own boss, no one will put you in check other than yourself. There are plenty of healthy warm “feel good” meals to eat that are low in calories and provide you with nutritional substance rather than fillers. Take inventory of your diet, (this doesn’t mean count calories) just be health conscious. Here are some healthy recipes do not involve juicing or salads….HEALTHY MEALS FOR COLD MONTHS.
2) Vitamins! Take your daily multivitamin and give yourself a boost with vitamin C, B, and D. Winter depression is a real thing and a lot of times is a result of lacking in proper vitamins. Even when it isn’t as severe as depression, feeling gloom and unmotivated can hinder your ability to burn calories and for many of us cause emotional eating. I’m not saying vitamins are a “cure all” but if you want to dodge the flu bullet while maintaining a healthy lifestyle vitamins will most certainly help you do that.
3) Stay active. This is a given… we all know in order to look good we have to work hard. Exercise is something we all have a love hate relationship with… We love the results but we hate the time it takes and often can’t find the energy to run before or after work. BUT a routine is the most important thing to establish and a way to find routine is to workout with someone… someone who will push us or someone who we can push. It isn’t easy but find a friend and stick to a workout plan.
4) Moderate your wine and eggnog intake. Yes enjoy your winter vacation and celebrate the new year… but don’t try to keep warm by downing three bottles of wine. Alcohol is incredibly high in sugar and thus calories. Don’t even get me started on the carbohydrate and fat loaded into eggnog, you might as well eat mayonnaise with a table spoon.
5) DANCE. Yes dance… dancing is one of the greatest ways you could possibly burn calories. It also increases the amount of serotonin in your brain which makes you HAPPYYYYYY! Nothing better than feeling great while you burn calories and developing fantastic bonds with friends that will last a lifetime.