There are a few things that can ruin a perfect pair of ballroom dance shoes. In our industry we don’t have much equipment, we actually just have two things that make us dancers: our feet and our shoes. Yes, we also have pounds of hair gel and glitter but we all know that you can have perfect hair and an amazing dress but that doesn’t make you a great dancer. Having bad shoes though… that can hinder any professional as nothing can disguise a dancer with painful blisters. Showtime Dance Shoes is committed to helping you not only find your perfect shoe but also making them last as long as possible. We have some tips on how to do so. See our blog post on how to cure Stinky Dance Shoes!
1) Finding the right fit for practice and performances.
Some dancers have wide feet, some narrow, some have weak ankles, and others need a lower heel. All of these things matter and we have practice shoes as well as competition shoes for any foot type. Getting a good practice shoe is probably more important than the performance shoes because 1) you can keep the competition shoes in better condition and 2) you can keep your feet more comfortable for hours and hours of practice. See all practice styles here.
2) Cleaning your suede soles with a sole brush
This is a huge recommendation for anyone with shoes that have a suede sole. Make your shoes last and brush the soles! Brush the suede of your shoes after every practice session, social dance, or competition, especially if the floor isn’t clean. Without brushing your shoes, dirt will work its way into the shoe and make it wear out more quickly. This can also be hazardous because shoes get slippery when they aren’t clean. Shop Sole Brush.
3) Shoe Disinfectant & Deodorizer
Far too often people worry about the outside of their shoes. But sometimes what is on the inside really does count, especially if the inside smells like rotten eggs. Using a simple deodorizer and disinfectant can get rid of any embarrassing order and also kill bacteria where mold will likely grow.
4) Lincoln E-Z Suede Cleaner
We have seen people try to wash their shoes with detergent, dawn, and many other products and it results in them buying a new pair of shoes. If you use a proper suede cleaner you can bring out the dirt without worrying about staining or permanently damaging the suede.
5) Heel Savers
Heel saver prolong the life of your heel tips. Many dancers also find they like the additional grip. We understand you have to be in your shoes in order to wear them in, but don’t destroy the heel in the process. Heel savers are the cheapest way to keep your shoes in top shape. Shop Now.
Dancers have it all, beautiful dresses, amazing ballroom dance shoes, and a glamorous life filled with dancing! With that being said, us competitive dancers can be pretty hard to shop for! What else do we really need other than our costumes and shoes?
Well the most popular trends for gift giving, whether it’s birthdays, Holidays, or Valentines day is customized gifts. There are some incredible artists who make this process seamless. All you do is provide a picture of you or your dancer and they paint an amazing picture to hang on your wall!
Jill Ciccone Art is based out of Raleigh North Carolina but ships all over in the US (shipping cost depends on canvas size). She does incredible portraits and custom work for dancers, families, and even pets! She mainly uses oil paints and has been painting full time for about 10 years.
To view some of Jill’s current work for sale view her portfolio.
Custom portrait artist Raleigh NC
1) No over eating. I know the Holidays are right around the corner but that doesn’t mean stuff yourself with pie and fried turkey until you go into a diabetic coma. If you want to feel good and energetic through the cold dreary winter ahead you have to give yourself limits. (i.e. Give yourself a chance to eat one single piece of pie over thanksgiving weekend) These limits do not have to be specific but you are your own boss, no one will put you in check other than yourself. There are plenty of healthy warm “feel good” meals to eat that are low in calories and provide you with nutritional substance rather than fillers. Take inventory of your diet, (this doesn’t mean count calories) just be health conscious. Here are some healthy recipes do not involve juicing or salads….HEALTHY MEALS FOR COLD MONTHS.
2) Vitamins! Take your daily multivitamin and give yourself a boost with vitamin C, B, and D. Winter depression is a real thing and a lot of times is a result of lacking in proper vitamins. Even when it isn’t as severe as depression, feeling gloom and unmotivated can hinder your ability to burn calories and for many of us cause emotional eating. I’m not saying vitamins are a “cure all” but if you want to dodge the flu bullet while maintaining a healthy lifestyle vitamins will most certainly help you do that.
3) Stay active. This is a given… we all know in order to look good we have to work hard. Exercise is something we all have a love hate relationship with… We love the results but we hate the time it takes and often can’t find the energy to run before or after work. BUT a routine is the most important thing to establish and a way to find routine is to workout with someone… someone who will push us or someone who we can push. It isn’t easy but find a friend and stick to a workout plan.
4) Moderate your wine and eggnog intake. Yes enjoy your winter vacation and celebrate the new year… but don’t try to keep warm by downing three bottles of wine. Alcohol is incredibly high in sugar and thus calories. Don’t even get me started on the carbohydrate and fat loaded into eggnog, you might as well eat mayonnaise with a table spoon.
5) DANCE. Yes dance… dancing is one of the greatest ways you could possibly burn calories. It also increases the amount of serotonin in your brain which makes you HAPPYYYYYY! Nothing better than feeling great while you burn calories and developing fantastic bonds with friends that will last a lifetime.
Let’s start by saying GO SNOOKI! She looked absolutely amazing and I could barely recognize her (she has lost some serious weight). She was glowing on the dance floor with high energy the entire time as she danced the Cha Cha Cha with Sasha Farber – there was even a first pump! We love seeing dance change people and that is why this season of Dancing with the stars is so touching. We have the nostalgia of seeing Bill Nye The Science Guy, the resilient beauty of Snooki and of course the most touching story of them all Valarie Harper. Valerie Harper is currently battling terminal cancer, she was so full of energy dancing the Foxtrot with Tristan MacManus. Of course she got a well deserved standing ovation before they even started the music! “It’s good to be alive and it’s better to be dancing!” Valerie said with glee after their dance. Bruno started: “How can you criticize a national treasure? You are an inspiration to the nation! You’ve got nothing to fear. You’re light on your feet. I’m so happy you’re here.” Carrie Ann was brought to tears while you could see the emotions sweep the entire room.
Why is Valerie Harper such an inspiration to all of us? Because she teaches us that a diagnosis does not determine our fate. She teaches us that perspective is reality and we create our own reality. When I think of someone who is terminally ill, I think of hospital beds, medications, and sadness. I do not think about glistening ballroom dresses, leaps into the air, and congo drums. Valerie Harper wants to LIVE… and she showed us that through her performance. Dance heals. Dance inspires. Dance revives!
Sponsored by: SHOWTIME DANCE SHOES
Ballroom Dance Shoes: www.showtimedanceshoes.com
Showtime Dance Shoes started 15 years ago and has been able to keep growing with the popularity of Ballroom dance itself. They have received acclamations for many different things but the one thing that they are most proud of is the team behind the box of shoes. The customer service department is amazing on the phones and on the roads as they are constantly traveling around the nation to various competitions. Showtime Dance Shoes is a brand that lives up to its reputation and is so excited to be in the process of creating their very own dance shoe.
Check out the schedule:
|Capital Dancesport||Aug 21 – 25||Alexandria, VA|
|Windy City Open||Aug 29 – Sep 1||Chicago, IL|
|USDC||Sep 2 – 7||Orlando, FL|
|Cleveland Dancesport||Sep 19 – 21||Cleveland, OH|
|First Coast Classic||Oct 3 – 5||
St. Augustine, FL
|Harvest Moon Ball||Oct 10 – 13||Chicago, IL|
www.ShowtimeDanceShoes.com… Where all the magic happens.
I’m a huge advocate for implementing these habits in our youth, when they become adults they will have some amazing memories of feeling confident while learning something new. “Dance is a fantastic way to get fit; not only is it fun, it really gets the heart pumping,” says Julian Omidi, co-founder of the Children’s Obesity Fund. She is exactly right as we all know that dance is a sport, it is competitive, strenuous, exhilarating, and takes impeccable coordination. All of those skills can be taught and the moves can be perfected with practice. Dance is a celebration of the body and this industry is only going to grow bigger and bigger with our youth getting more involved as time goes on.
Showtime Dance Shoes offers a wide variety of Ballroom Dance Shoes.
Click here for our Children’s Styles
ShowtimeDanceShoes.com is known for always having a wide selection of shoes to choose from. Well, from the sounds of it our customers are starting to not just buy their high end shoes from us… they are buying their practice shoes as well. We have been noticing the trends in our consumers and we are excited that they realize our inventory growth. For those who don’t already know, we have several pairs of $89.00 Ballroom Dance Shoes available online.
I was speaking with some of the dancers at the Savannah Dance Classic this year and they had no idea that we even carried shoes under $100.00. Well we do and here are just a few of them…
Go to www.showtimedanceshoes.com to see more incredible styles and products!